# 1435 Tornado GR4, 15 Sqn
Purchased products will not feature the Squadron Prints watermark.
Squadron Prints Lithograph No. 1435 - ZD741 'LS-F', Tornado GR4, XV(R) Squadron, RAF Lossiemouth, 'MacRobert's Reply'.
Please note: This print will not be dispatched till Monday 20th March at the earliest.
XV Squadron was formed on 1st March 1915 at South Farnborough. Initially equipped with BE 2Cs, the Squadron deployed to France in December 1915 and undertook reconnaissance, bombing and Army co-operation duties on the Western Front. The Squadron re-equipped with Bristol Scouts in 1916, RE 8s in 1917 and carried out ground-attack missions during the latter stages of the war. In February 1919 XV Squadron returned to the UK and disbanded at the end of that year. The Squadron reformed in March 1924 as part of the A&AEE at Martlesham Heath. In June 1934 it moved to Abingdon as a bomber unit flying Hawker Harts, which were superseded by Hinds in 1936 and Fairey Battles in 1938. In September 1939 the Squadron deployed to France, but returned to England in December to re-equip with Blenheim IVs. In November 1940 it received Wellington ICs for night-bombing operations before converting to Stirling Is five months later. Lady MacRobert presented one such aircraft to the Squadron in memory of her three sons who were all killed in the air; the aircraft was named âMacRobertâs Replyâ. XV Squadron flew Lancasters from 1943 and was part of the main force of Bomber Command for the rest of the war. Based at Wyton from August 1946 the Squadron received Lincolns in February 1947, Washingtons in January 1951 and Canberras in May 1953. In an unsettled period the Squadron moved to Marham in 1950, Coningsby in 1951, Cottesmore in 1954 and Honington in 1955. It then deployed to Cyprus in October 1956 in support of the Suez campaign prior to disbanding on 15th April 1957. The Squadron reformed with Victor B1s at Cottesmore on 1st September 1958 but disbanded once more on 31st October 1964. Remaining in retirement until 1st October 1970, XV Squadron reformed at Honington with Buccaneer S2s before moving to Laarbruch on 11th January 1971. On 31st October 1983 it became the first RAF Germany unit to receive Tornado GR1s. Using these aircraft the Squadron played a major role in the Gulf War in 1991 for which it received its latest Battle Honour. The Squadron disbanded on 18th December 1991 but was reformed with reserve status on 1st April 1992 to carry out the training task previously performed by the Tornado Weapons Conversion Unit. XV(R) Squadron moved to Lossiemouth on 1st November 1993 and in March 1999 absorbed the RAF elements of the TTTE from Cottesmore. The Squadron converted to the Tornado GR4 in 2001 and was responsible for training all Royal Air Force Tornado GR4 crews before they moved to the front line. XV(R) Squadron continues to bear the MacRobertâs coat of arms on the aircraft allocated the tail letter âFoxtrotâ. The latest âMacRobertâs Replyâ is a Tornado GR4 serial ZD741 and is badged as the original Stirling as a mark of respect to those aircrew and ground crew who served on XV Squadron who gave their lives serving their country. The final âFoxtrotâ also bears the names of the original crew of âMacRobertâs Replyâ. The tartan on the fin cap is Robertson Hunting Tartan (Modern). The weapons fit shown has been chosen in recognition of the Squadronâs support to current operations.