#1228 Tutor

Tutor
Purchased products will not feature the Squadron Prints watermark
£10.00 €11.68 $12.44
43.8 cm x 29.2 cm
Item added to bag. Click here to view bag.
Please select a size from above to proceed.
Print
Tutor T1
G-BYXI
Southampton UAS
Boscombe Down
UK - Air Force
Delivery and shipping information

Description

Squadron Prints Lithograph No. 1228 - Tutor, G-BYXI, Southampton University Air Squadron, Boscombe Down. Southampton University Air Squadron was formed in February 1941. Initially based at the Royal Naval Air Station Worthy Down and equipped with Anson and Tiger Moth it had its Headquarters in Southampton University’s West Building. In 1945 the Squadron became a unit of the Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve; a status it maintains to this day. During 1947 the Squadron moved to Eastleigh, but after a brief stay there it re-located to Hamble. In 1948 the RAF Airfield Construction Branch built a brand new Headquarters for the Squadron at Stoneham (near to the present day Eastleigh Airport), which comprised the Administrative HQ and an Officers’ Mess. The unit operated out of Hamble for almost 30 years alongside the College of Air Training, before moving to Bournemouth Hurn in 1978, then again to RNAS Lee-on-Solent in the late 1980s and finally to the then Aircraft and Armament Experimental Establishment at Boscombe Down in April 1993. The trusty Tiger Moth was replaced by the Chipmunk in 1950, and subsequently the Bulldog in 1974, and since 2001 the unit has operated the Tutor. Today the Squadron has three Qualified Flying Instructors, operates six Tutors and caters for around 65 student pilots. Increased emphasis is placed on personal development through Adventurous Training, Sport and Force Development. The Motto of “Fortibus Ardua Cedunt”, Adversity Yields to the Bold, personifies the Squadron.