#9CU Shackleton

Shackleton
Purchased products will not feature the Squadron Prints watermark
£10.00 €11.68 $12.44
43.8 cm x 29.2 cm
Item added to bag. Click here to view bag.
Please select a size from above to proceed.
Print
Shackleton AEW2
WR960
8 Sqn
RAF Lossiemouth
UK - Air Force
Delivery and shipping information

Description

Squadron Prints Lithograph No. 9CU - Shackleton EAW2, WR960, 8 Squadron, RAF Lossiemouth. Formed at Brooklands on 1 January 1915, No. 8 Squadron moved to France in April 1915 with BE2s for bombing and reconnaissance duties. The Squadron later specialised in tactical reconnaissance receiving RE8s in August 1917 and returned to the UK in July 1919 prior to disbanding in January 1920. On 18 October 1920, No. 8 reformed at Helwan in Egypt with DH9As moving to lraq in 1921 and Aden in 1927. At the outbreak of WWII the Squadron was equipped with Vincents and Blenheims and Iater flew Marylands, Hudsons and Wellingtons before disbanding on 1 May 1945 in Aden. The Squadron reappeared again at Jessore in India on 15 May 1945 equipped with Liberators for special duties in Malaya but disbanded on 15 November 1945. Now flying Mosquitoes, No. 8 reformed in Aden on 1 September 1946 subsequently re-equipping with Tempests, Brigands, Vampires, Venoms, Meteors and Hunters. The Squadron was based in the Middle East throughout this period and disbanded at Sharjah on 15 December 1971. Operating in a new role and based in the UK for the first time in over 50 years, 8 Squadron reformed at Kinloss on 8 January 1972 to fly the Airborne Early Warning Shackleton moving to Lossiemouth on 17 August 1973. The Shackleton is the RAF’s last operational piston engined aircraft but 8 Squadron will re-equip with Nimrod AEW.3s at Waddington in Lincolnshire.