Purchased products will not feature the Squadron Prints watermark
Squadron Prints Lithograph No. 1453 - G-BYWX, Tutor, University of London Air Squadron, RAF Wittering. The University of London Air Squadron (ULAS) was formed on 1 October 1935 in the University of London buildings in Kensington and flew Tutor, Audax, Hart and Hind aircraft from RAF Northolt. The Squadron disbanded in 1939 but reformed on 5 April 1941 to provide ground training and rapidly built up a membership of 182, forming three squadrons. In October 1956, now part of the reformed RAFVR, the unit changed its name to London University Air Squadron flying Tiger Moths from Biggin Hill moving to Fairoaks in December 1947. Its title reverted to the University of London University Air Squadron on 1 December 1949 and it moved to Booker in October 1950 where it flew Chipmunks and Harvards. A move to Kenley took place in January 1956 and the Squadron returned to Biggin Hill in April 1957 where it remained until February 1959 when it relocated to White Whaltham. The next move took place in August 1973 when the Squadron Settled at Abingdon and re-equipped with the Scottish Aviation Bulldog T1. The flying base changed to Benson in July 1992 where the Squadron parented No. 6 AEF in 1995. Another move took place 1 November 1999 when the Squadron relocated to RAF Wyton in Cambridgeshire where it re-equipped with the Grob G. 115E aircraft. In February 2015, the Squadron moved to RAF Wittering. ULAS is one of the largest University Air Squadrons and provides flying training to undergraduates from the University of London and other Universities in and around the capital.