#1542 Spitfire Vb
Purchased products will not feature the Squadron Prints watermark
Squadron Prints Lithograph No. 1542 - 92 Squadron, 'Either fight or die', RAF Waddington. No. 92 Squadron formed at London Colney on 1 September 1917 and after training, moved to France in July 1918, equipped with the SE5a. It was engaged in fighter and ground attack operations on the Western Front and was disbanded at Eil in Germany on 7 August 1919. It was not until 10 October 1939 that 92 Squadron reformed at Tangmere on the Blenheim If and was replaced with the Spitfire I in March 1940, carrying out offensive fighter patrols over France. The Squadron's role changed to one of defence in June when it moved to South Wales and later took part in the Battle of Britain. It returned to offensive operations later in 1940 and moved to the Middle East in February 1942 equipped with the Spitfire Vb. These were used on fighter sweeps and bomber escort missions over theâ€¨desert as the Squadron followed the 8th Army to Tunisia. Flying the Spitfire IX and VIII from Malta in June 1943, the Squadron covered the landings in Sicily andâ€¨from there moved to Italy where it became a fighter-bomber unit in July 1944. The Squadron disbanded in Austria on 30 December 1946 but reformed on the Meteor at Acklington on 31 January 1947 as part of the UK's Air Defence network. The Squadron moved to Duxford the following month but settled at Linton-on-Ouse in October 1949. The Canadair Sabre equipped the Squadron from February 1954 until the arrival of the Hawker Hunter in April 1956 and a move to Middleton St George followed in 1957. A further move to Leconfield took place in May 1961 where the Squadron re-equipped with the Lightning in April 1963. 92 Squadron moved to Gutersloh in Germany in January 1968 to reinforce the Second ATAF and converted to the Phantom FGR2 in April 1977 when it moved to Wildenrath. The Squadron took part in Operation GRANBY / DESERT STORM where it defended the Sovereign Base areas of Cyprus from August 1990 until the ceasefire in February 1991. 92 Squadron disbanded on 1 July 1991 and reformed again at Chivenor on 23 September 1992 when 151(R) Squadron was renumbered 92(R) Squadron. It flew the Hawk T1 for just over two years, disbanding again on 1 October 1994. Following a decision by the Air Force Board, 92(R) Squadron reformed again on 30 June 2009 as the Tactics and Training Wing of the Air Warfare Centre. Although not a flying unit, 92(R) Squadron provides tactical advice and collective training to the front line and as of 1 April 2018, the Reserve status was dropped, becoming 92 Squadron once more.