#544CU F-16C Fighting Falcon

F-16C Fighting Falcon
Purchased products will not feature the Squadron Prints watermark
£10.00 €11.67 $12.66
43.8 cm x 29.2 cm
Item added to bag. Click here to view bag.
Please select a size from above to proceed.
Print
F-16C Fighting Falcon
90-0776 '524 FS'
524 FS, 27 FW
Cannon AFB, New Mexico
US - Air Force
Delivery and shipping information

Description

Squadron Prints Lithograph No. 544CU - 90-0776 '524 FS', F-16C Fighting Falcon, 524th Fighter Squadron, 27th Fighter Wing, Cannon Air Force Base, New Mexico.

The 524th was activated on 15 January, 1941, at Hunter Field, Ga., as the 11th Reconnaissance Squadron flying B-18 aircraft. It was redesignated as the 91st Bombardment Squadron in 1941, the 524th Fighter Bomber Squadron in 1943, and as the 524th Fighter Squadron in 1944. ln  World War II, the unit fought in the Pacific, Mediterranean and European Theaters flying A-20, A-24, A-36, P-60, and P-47 aircraft. The squadron was deactivated on 7 November 1945, at Camp Shank, New York, NY. The 524th was reactivated at Fritzlar, Germany, flying P-47s on 20 August 1946 and moved to the United States in 1947 re-equipped with P-51s. Prior to the Korean War, the 524th was stationed in Maryland, Nebraska, and Texas and converted to the F-82 in 1948. In 1950, the 524th became a fighter escort squadron flying the F-84. Late in 1950, the squadron went to Taegu Air Base, Korea, where they served in combat until moving to Bergstrom AFB, Texas, in mid 1951. ln 1953, the unit was dedesignated as the 524th Strategic Fighter Squadron and then the 524th Fighter Bomber Squadron in 1957. That same year F-101s replaced the F-84s and the unit was redesignated the 524th Tactical Fighter Squadron a year later. The squadron moved to Cannon AFB in 1959 and converted to F-100s. During 1962 the unit deployed to MacDill AFB, FL in response to the Cuban Missile Crisis. Late in the year the 524 TFS deployed to Takhli Royal Thai AFB, Thailand. There were additional temporary duties to Southeast Asia throughout the 1960s. From 1969 to 1972, the 524th converted to the F-111 aircraft, flying F-111A, F-111E, F-111D, and F-111F models. From 1972 to 1996 the squadron established a proud tradition of projecting worldwide airpower by participating in numerous deployments such as Bold Eagle Surge Delta 78, Coronet Beacon, and Provide Comfort. The squadron was redesignated the 524th Tactical Fighter Training Squadron 8 July, 1980. Its mission was to train new pilots and weapons systems officers in employment of the F-111. The Squadron was renamed the 524th Fighter Squadron on 1 October 1991 as part of the worldwide Air Force reorganization. In 1993 the 524th FS was recognized as Air Combat Command’s “Best Fighter Squadron“. The Hounds were the last F-111 squadron to transition to the F-16CG, receiving their first Viper in June 1996, and achieving their combat ready status in January of 1997. The 524th FS is the largest F-16 Block 40 combat squadron in the Air Force, employing the latest state-of-the-art avionics and weapons delivery platforms such as Low Altitude Navigation and Targeting infrared for Night. The squadron’s mission is to be prepared to deploy worldwide to engage and destroy any adversary using a wide range of precision guided munitions in any weather, day or night.