#1119 Lynx AH9A
Purchased products will not feature the Squadron Prints watermark
Squadron Prints Lithograph No. 1119 - Lynx AH9A, ZG887, 659 Squadron Army Air Corps, Disforth. The Squadron began life as 659 AOP Squadron, Royal Air Force at Firbeck, Yorkshire on 30 April 1943 under the command of Major Prendergast RA and was equipped with Auster MkIIIs and a single Tiger Moth. The Squadron relocated to Clifton on 17 August 1943, and then to East Grinstead on 23 April 1944. It was from there on 14, 17 and 23 June 1944, that the Squadron, now equipped with Auster MkIVs, crossed the channel to advance landing grounds in Normandy. From there it supported 8 Corps against the 10th SS Panzer Division. The Squadron advanced together with 8 Corps after the success of Operation COBRA, the breakout from the Normandy bridgehead and the collapse of the German resistance in France. In September 1944 they continued to support 8 Corps, supplying flank protection for Operation MARKET GARDEN before returning to England in June 1945. 659 Squadron moved to India on 2 October 1945 supporting forces in Waziristan often operating out of semi-jungle strips. On 14 August 1947, upon India’s Independence, its assets were absorbed into the newly formed Royal Indian Air Force and the Squadron was disbanded. In October 1969 whilst based in Osnabruck, three independent Air Troops were combined to form 659 Aviation Squadron, and on 1 June 1973 it became 659 Squadron, Army Air Corps, part of 2 Regiment. With the disbandment of 9 Regiment, 659 Squadron relocated and became part of 4 Regiment deploying on Operation GRANBY. Recent times have seen the Nighthawks operate in Bosnia, Kosovo, Iraq and Afghanistan. In July 2010, 659 Squadron deployed to Helmand Province with the up-rated Lynx Mk9A and was the first Squadron to deploy on an operational mission with a twin fit .50 calibre machine gun. Currently 659 Squadron operates from Dishforth Airfield, North Yorkshire flying both the Lynx Mk7 and Mk9A.