#1476 Typhoon, Atlas, Globemaster, Voyager
Purchased products will not feature the Squadron Prints watermark
Squadron Prints Lithograph No. 1476 - 906 Expeditionary Air Wing. 906 (Tactical) Wing was established on 1 December 1944 at Tulihal, India when RAF Wing Headquarters Imphal was redesignated. It roots, however, can be traced back to 170 (Medium Bomber) Wing, which was formed on 1 October 1942. This wing was redesignated RAF Wing Headquarters Imphal exactly two years later on 1 October 1944. No 906 (Tactical) Wing was a composite fighter/bomber unit tasked with providing air superiority and support to the 14th Army during its advance south through central Burma. This included close support to forward troops and attacking longer-range targets. As the campaign progressed, it became important for Allied troops to re-occupy Rangoon before the next monsoon season started and the weather made air operations impossible. The main danger to Wing aircraft was from small arms fire and the Japanese use of land mines exploding under low flying/diving aircraft. Ultimately successful in its task, the Wing was disbanded on 13 November 1945. During Operation ELLAMY in 2011, 906 Wing was re-formed as 906 Expeditionary Air Wing (EAW). The Wingâ€™s Tornado GR4 and Typhoon FGR4 aircraft worked together to provide ground attack and control of the air over Libya. Additionally, the Wing supported Tornado GR4s returning from long-range missions from RAF Marham. On 15 January 2013, 906 EAW reformed again in the Middle East. The EAW provides the UKâ€™s air mobility hub in the Middle East and is a critical link in the UKâ€™s strategic air-bridge to and from the region. The Wing enables operations by C-17A Globemaster III, A400M Atlas and Voyager aircraft. The Wing also provides base support for Tornado GR4 and Typhoon FGR4 aircraft during exercises with the UKâ€™s partner countries in the Middle East.