#1097 AV-8B Harrier II

AV-8B Harrier II
Purchased products will not feature the Squadron Prints watermark
£10.00 €11.70 $12.45
43.8 cm x 29.2 cm
Item added to bag. Click here to view bag.
Please select a size from above to proceed.
Print
AV-8B Harrier II
164553 '01
VMA-231
MCAS Cherry Point, North Carolina
US - Marine Corps
Delivery and shipping information

Description

Squadron Prints Lithograph No. 1097 - AV-8B Harrier II Plus, 164553 \'01\', Marine Attack Squadron 231, Marine Aircraft Group 14, Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point, North Carolina. 1st Division, Squadron D originated on 8 February 1919 at Marine Flying Field, Miami, Florida, flying the JN-4D Jenny. From February 1919 to July 1924 the squadron participated in operations against enemy forces in the Dominican Republic. Re-designated January 1921 as 1st Air Squadron, it adopted its distinctive “Ace of Spades” insignia. The Ace being the first card in a suit symbolized the first Marine Corps squadron, the \"A\" in the upper left stood for the word “air” while the “S” in the lower right represented the word “squadron”. Re-designated in August 1922 as Observation Squadron 1, it converted to the DH-4B Liberty. From February to June 1927 the “Ace of Spades” deployed to Nicaragua and participated in operations against enemy forces. Upon returning to the U.S. Observation Squadron 1 was re-designated Observation Squadron 8M and deactivated in July 1933. Reactivated November 1934 in San Diego, California Observation Squadron 8M was re-designated Marine Scouting Squadron 2 in July 1937. The “Ace of Spades” deployed to Ewa, Hawaii and was re-designated as Marine Scout Bombing Squadron 231 in July 1941. During World War II the “Ace of Spades” participated in the battles of Midway, Guadalcanal and the Marshall Islands flying the SB2U-3 Vindicator, SBD Dauntless, and F4U-1 Corsair as Marine Bombing Fighting Squadron 231, Marine Scout Bombing Squadron 231, then Marine Torpedo Bombing Squadron 231. Deactivated in March 1946, the “Ace of Spades” was reactivated as Marine Fighter Squadron 231 (reserve) at Akron, Ohio in June 1948 flying the F4U-1 Corsair. Relocated in November 1957 to Grosse Isle, Michigan, flying the AD-4 Skyraider the squadron was re-designated Marine Attack Squadron 231. The “Ace of Spades” was again deactivated in August 1962 to be reactivated at Cherry Point, North Carolina in July 1973 flying the AV-8A Harrier. In September 1983 the “Ace of Spades” participated as part of the Multinational Peace Keeping Force in Lebanon. In September 1985 Marine Attack Squadron converted to the AV-8B II. In December 1990 the “Ace of Spades” deployed to Southwest Asia. During Operation Desert Storm Marine Attack Squadron 231 flew 987 combat sorties and expended 1,692,000 pounds of ordnance in 1,195 flight hours against Iraq. Post Desert Storm the “Ace of Spades” completed numerous Marine Expeditionary Unit (Special Operations Capable) deployments and transitioned to the AV-8B II Plus in 1995. In August 1996, VMA-231 Marines deployed for the first time with the Harrier II+ aboard the USS NASSAU with the 26th MEU. On this deployment VMA-231 Marines took part in operations in Albania, Bosnia, and the Republic of Zaire. In April 1999, the Ace of Spades deployed with the 26th MEU(SOC) aboard the USS KEARSARGE. The Spades were involved in many operations, such as Operation Allied Force, bombing targets in the former Yugoslavia. They also participated in Operation Joint Guardian, Shining Hope, and Avid Response. From April 2003 to 2008, the Ace of Spades supported Marine and Coalition Forces during Operation Iraqi Freedom by flying 1738 combat sorties totaling 5158 flight hours. During November 2009 Marine Attack Squadron deployed to Kandahar, Afghanistan in support of Operation Enduring Freedom and continues to deploy worldwide in support of national defense and U.S. interests.