#887 F-111C

F-111C
Purchased products will not feature the Squadron Prints watermark
£10.00 €11.69 $12.67
43.8 cm x 29.2 cm
Item added to bag. Click here to view bag.
Please select a size from above to proceed.
Print
F-111C
A8-113
6 Sqn, 82 Wg
RAAF Amberley
Delivery and shipping information

Description

Squadron Prints Lithograph No. 887 - A8-113, F-111C, 6 Squadron, RAAF Amberley. 6 Squadron (originally identified as 30 [Australian Training] Squadron, Royal Flying Corps) was formed at Parkhouse, England on 15 June 1917. It was established as a training squadron operating fighter scout aircraft to prepare personnel for service with 2 Squadron AFC on the Western Front. The squadron relocated several times within the UK until it was disbanded in March 1919. The squadron was reformed at RAAF Base Richmond on 1 January 1939. With the outbreak of World War II, 6 Squadron began flying anti-submarine and general reconnaissance patrols off the east coast of Australia with Avro Anson’s and,from April 1940, Lockheed Hudson aircraft. In August 1942, 6 Squadron deployed to Horn Island, with a detachment at Milne Bay to provide reconnaissance and bomber for the Australian garrison. During the Japanese invasion of Milne Bay, crews flew constant bombing and strafing missions against enemy troop positions, landing barges, and ships. October 1942 saw the bulk of 6 Squadron based at Port Moresby, and the commencement of supply dropping operations to Australian troops fighting along the Kokoda Trail. Although the Hudson was not an ideal aircraft for this task, tonnes of supplies were delivered under extremely hazardous conditions. By November 1942, the unit was collocated at Milne Bay airfield. In August 1943 the Beaufort replaced the Hudson’s. In November 1943, 6 Squadron moved to Goodenough Island where many night strikes against the Japanese stronghold at Rabaul were flown. In December 1944 the Squadron moved to Dobodura where strikes and supply dropping missions in support of Australian troops throughout New Guinea continued. In late 1945, after flying 3830 operational sorties, the Squadron disbanded at Kingaroy, Queensland. On 23 February 1948, 6 Squadron reformed at RAAF Base Amberley, Queensland. Equipped with Lincoln bombers, 6 Squadron provided training for 1 and 2 Squadron’s aircrews throughout the 1950’s. During this period, the Lincolns also participated in the British atomic bomb tests at Maralinga before being replaced with Canberra jet bombers in 1955. Throughout the Canberra’s service 6 Squadron flew operational tasks, as well as training aircrew for 2 Squadron, then deployed to South Vietnam. Due to the delayed arrival of the F-111 aircraft, from 1970 until 1972, 6 Squadron flew F4 Phantoms leased from the USAF. These were replaced by General Dynamics F-111’s in 1973. 6 Squadron also operated the RF-111C in a reconnaissance role from August 1979 until mid 1996. To supplement the RF-111C’s, from 1982 until 1987 6 Squadron operated Learjets in a photographic survey role throughout Southeast Asia. From 1995 to 2007 6 Squadron operated the F-111G to supplement the F-111C fleet. 6 Squadron remains at Amberley as part of 82 Wing and continues to operate and maintain the F-111C aircraft as a formidable part of Australia’s air combat capability. In it’s current role, 6 Squadron conducts F-111 Operational Conversion, Operational Upgrade and Fighter Combat Instructor training courses. F-111A 67-0113 was delivered to the 474th TFW at Nellis AFB Nevada USAF on 14 August 1969. With the 430TFS, 113 flew from Tahkli RTAFB, during the third deployment phase of Constant Guard V/Linebacker. This aircraft flew the last combat mission of the war in Southeast Asia against a Cambodian target on 15 August 1973. In 1977 67-0113 was transferred to 366th TFW Mountain Home AFB during Operation READY SWITCH and assigned to the 390th TFS “boars” “green section”. Whilst at Mountain Home AFB, 113 was badly damaged in a landing accident and was rebuilt around 1980-81. 67-0113 was purchased by the RAAF as an attrition replacement in 1982 and modified to F-111C status as A8-113. In October 1997 the aircraft was digitally modified via the Avionics Upgrade Program.