#1242 Tutor

Tutor
Purchased products will not feature the Squadron Prints watermark
£10.00 €11.15 $12.40
43.8 cm x 29.2 cm
Item added to bag. Click here to view bag.
Please select a size from above to proceed.
Print
Tutor T1
G-BYVJ
Yorkshire UAS
RAF Church Fenton
UK - Air Force
Delivery and shipping information

Description

Squadron Prints Lithograph No. 1242 - Tutor, G-BYVJ, Yorkshire Universities Air Squadron, RAF Church Fenton 1995 - 2013. The origins of Yorkshire Universities Air Squadron may be traced back to the wartime effort to provide pre-service ground and flying training to potential officers. In 1941 Hull UAS was formed at Royal Air Force Driffield equipped with Tiger Moth aircraft and Leeds UAS was formed at Yeadon also equipped with a Tiger Moth. In the latter stages of the war both squadrons were disbanded due to the falling student population. In the late 1940s both units were reformed as part of the Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve with the intention of maintaining a liaison between the Royal Air Force and the universities and also to provide pre-service training to National Service pilots. After a period of service at RAF Sherburn-in-Elmet and RAF Yeadon (now Leeds/Bradford Airport), Leeds UAS moved to RAF Church Fenton where, as a result of a financial review in 1968, they and Hull UAS, then based at Brough airfield, were amalgamated to form Yorkshire Universities Air Squadron. The new squadron, formed on 15 March 1969 at RAF Church Fenton, recruited from the Universities of York, Hull, Leeds, Sheffield, Bradford and Huddersfield and initially flew Chipmunk T10 aircraft. Unlike most other UASs, Yorkshire had its squadron and “town” headquarters on the same site due to the wide number of cities from which its students came. In 1973 the Squadron re-equipped with the Bulldog T1 aircraft and in June 1975, following the closure of RAF Church Fenton, the Squadron moved to RAF Finningley. Following the closure of RAF Finningley in July 1995 the Squadron returned to its original home of RAF Church Fenton. In late 2000 the Squadron was equipped with the Grob 115E Tutor aircraft. The Squadron is established for 7 members of staff, 75 students and shares 6 Tutor aircraft with No 9 Air Experience Flight. At the end of 2013, after 18 sublime years at RAF Church Fenton, YUAS will move once again to a new home at RAF Linton-on-Ouse.

Selected Products