#1407 Chinook HC4

Chinook HC4
Purchased products will not feature the Squadron Prints watermark
£10.00 €11.17 $12.19
43.8 cm x 29.2 cm
Item added to bag. Click here to view bag.
Please select a size from above to proceed.
Print
Chinook HC4
ZA681
7 Sqn; 18 Sqn; 27 Sqn; 657 Sqn, AAC
RAF Odiham
UK - Army; UK - Air Force
Delivery and shipping information

Description

Squadron Prints Lithograph No. 1407 - RAF Odiham. RAF Odiham Mission: 'Deliver and sustain Chinook and SF aviation operations world-wide, in order to support UK Defence Missions andTasks.' RAF Odiham is a front line support helicopter base working within the Joint Helicopter Command. Located in Hampshire, we have many facilities for Service Personnel and dependants alike. Committed to operations and supporting operations throughout the world, The Station is primarily responsible for providing rapid mobility world-wide for the Royal Navy, Army and Royal Air Force in support of Defence Missions and tasks. Home of the UK Chinook Force, Royal Air Force Odiham operates three Chinook squadrons and one Army Air Corps (AAC) Lynx squadron. Our personnel are engaged in operations and exercises throughout the world and held at readiness to deploy worldwide. The contribution of RAF Odiham’s personnel, both at home and abroad, provides critical support to the delivery of the UK military’s operational tasks. No. 18 Squadron formed initially as a training unit at Northolt on 11 May 1915. As part of the Air Component of the BEF and equipped with Blenheims, No. 18 Squadron suffered heavy losses in their attempts to stem the German advance the Europe before being withdrawn to the UK in May 1940. The Squadron was then assigned to anti-shipping duties. In December 1947 18 Squadron flew Dakotas in the transport role, supporting the Berlin Airlift and disbanding shortly after. Reformed in August 1953 with Canberras, the Squadron took part in operations during the Suez crisis of 1955 before temporarily disbanding prior to becoming a Valiant Squadron in 1957. In 1965, the Squadron moved to Germany with Wessex helicopters. It remained there until disbanded in 1980, but reformed as the first RAF Chinook squadron in August 1981. During the Falklands War in 1982, four Chinooks were dispatched on the cargo ship Atlantic Conveyor, but three were lost when the vessel was sunk. The sole surviving aircraft gave sterling service on the islands in the months that followed. After the conflict, the Squadron returned to Germany, taking a small number of Pumas on strength before moving to Odiham in 1997. In recent years 18 Squadron has seen a number of operational tours, notably the Balkans (Op AGRICOLA), Afghanistan (Op PTARMIGAN) and Iraq (Op TELIC). No. 27 Squadron formed at Hounslow on 5 November 1915 from a nucleus provided by No. 24 Squadron, and became the first squadron to be fully equipped with the Martinsyde G100 ‘Elephant’. Although intended as a fighter, the aircraft found itself more suited to reconnaissance and bombing missions after moving to France in March 1916. The Squadron was disbanded in January 1920 however three months later No. 99 Squadron in India was renumbered No. 27 and the Squadron assumed air-policing duties over the North West Frontier with DH9s. In October 1939 the Squadron became a Flying Training School at Risalpur before regaining its operational status with the arrival of Bleheims. The Squadron moved to Malaya a few months later. This proved to be a short-lived situation as the Squadron was decimated by the advancing Japanese forces and disbanded in February 1942. In November 1947, the Squadron was reformed at Oakington with Dakotas and, after taking part in the Berlin Airlift, concentrated on paratrooping and air-supply duties until disbanded once more in November 1950. In June 1953, No. 27 Squadron reformed as a Canberra bomber squadron and took part in Operation Musketeer, the Suez campaign, but was again disbanded on the last day of 1957. In April 1961, the Squadron reformed at Scampton and began a 13-year association with Vulcans in the strike and maritime reconnaissance roles before the type was replaced by Tornados in the bomber role in 1983. No. 27 Squadron relinquished its Tornados in 1993, reforming as No. 27 (Reserve) Squadron, the Chinook/Puma OCU, at Odiham and regained full squadron status in January 1998 solely equipped with Chinooks. No sooner had No. 7 Squadron formed at Farnborough on 1 May 1914, when it was disbanded to bring other Squadrons up to strength. In 1940, No. 7 was the first squadron to receive the first of the RAF’s four-engined heavy bombers, the Stirling, but serious problems meant that operational sorties could not be carried out until the night of 10/11 February 1941 when the squadron attacked oil storage tanks at Rotterdam. In 1943, the Squadron was one of the initial units which formed the Pathfinder Force and converted to Lancasters. The Squadron took part in operations in Malaya in 1949 equipped with Lincolns and in 1956 reformed with Valiants as part of the famous V-Force, flying them until disbandment in 1962. In 1970 the Squadron reformed, this time flying Canberras on target-towing tasks. In 1982, the Squadron re-equipped with Chinook helicopters, and has kept these since then. Currently based at Odiham, the Squadron, in conjunction with other Chinook units, has seen a number of operational deployments in recent years to such areas as the former Yugoslavia, Afghanistan and Iraq. 657 Squadron, a sub unit of 9 Regiment, Army Air Corps, are based at RAF Odiham and form part of the Joint Special Forces Aviation Wing (JSFAW) along with 658 Squadron AAC and 7 Squadron RAF. 657 Squadron developed their special forces support role in the late nineties, culminating in its move to Odiham from Dishforth Airfield. 657 Squadron operate Lynx AH.7, and more recently, AH.9A helicopters in support of UKSF. The Lynx is a dual role attack/utility helicopter also once operated by the Commando Helicopter Force (the CHF have now transitioned to the Wildcat AH.1)

Selected Products